Super Secret Project - 7 Must Set Settings
It is really exciting when you get a new camera whether it is a new Nikon D3100 or D7000 or Canon T2i or 60D. But as soon as you take it out of the box what are the 7 things I suggest you set first in the menu?
1. Set the Camera to RAW and never take it out (or RAW + JPEG if you are new to RAW)
2. Set the card Lock – make sure that the camera will not fire without a memory card in it.
3. Set your date and time – make sure you do not let it write the date and time on the picture.
4. Set your White Balance to Auto – You are shooting RAW and will tweak it if needed later.
5. Turn off AUTO ISO if it is on – You will make better selections than the camera
6. Picture Review Off – This will keep you from looking at every single picture you take
7. Image Rotation On – This will orient the vertical shots properly when you bring the files into LightRoom
There are a lot more settings in the camera I could talk about but I find these 7 will help you get off to a great start. I will be going through the important settings of individual cameras in the future.